Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bugger Off!

So of course the day after crowing about my delicata, I found out this morning that they are all infested with squash bugs. I had noticed leaf damage recently, but wrote it off to the Japanese beetles I have been seeing and killing. However, there was no mistaking the little grayish-bluish youngins crawling about this morning.

I killed dozens of the junior sized ones on the plants, and picked over a dozen clutches of eggs. I even managed to kill the one large adult I found. which may have been the originator of the infestation. I did a little research and learned about a product called Neem Oil. If the little buggers get out of control I may have to try it out. About half of the butternuts were infested as well, but nothing else - so far. My guess is the larger leaves of the healthier delicata and butternut plants were more attractive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home