Saturday, September 26, 2009

Going Nuts

I finally got my nut trees back into the ground two weeks ago. I had to dig them up in the spring and temporarily house them in buckets while the excavator did its work. I have two each of walnuts, chestnuts and hazelnuts. I also have one almond and one pecan. You should always plant at least two of each, but the second almond I ordered did not live. The pecan is actually a tiny sapling from a pair I ordered two years ago. Both seemed dead, and never sprouted leaves, and when I got the replacements this spring, the same thing happened. Surprisingly, one of the original ones from two years ago actually sprouted a green leaf this year, so assuming it survives the winter, all I will need is one pecan and one almond. Normally, almonds would not survive a New England winter, but these were advertised as engineered to survive anywhere peaches can. For five dollars, I figured why not try it.


In order, these are a walnut, hazelnut, chestnut and almond. All but the chestnuts are in their final locations. I need to extend another 80-100 feet into the wood line to get the proper spacing. Hopefully I'll be able to get the excavator back in the spring. I actually planted them about six inches above grade. There's a good chance the area will get marshy in the spring, and this should give them a better chance at survival. I used the rocks to make beds to prevent erosion.

I also have an additional walnut that I planted in 2005. My father taught me how to prune it grow taller, faster. I estimate it is at least 12 feet tall now. Pruning it this way makes it a bet leggy so you need to support them with a stake for a year or two until the trunk width catches up. With a little luck, this one will produce some nuts in the fall of 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home