Monday, April 12, 2010

A Berry Good Day

I spent Saturday prepping my new berry patch (after moving a boatload of stones that I have sccumulated over the past few years. Its not hard to understand why the New England colonists turned from farming to seafaring - and that pile is barely half of what I've dug up.


I ordered five blueberry plants, six raspberries and seven blackberries. Unfortunately, I miscalculated the spacing required, so i was unable to put in the blackberries. I'll probably keep them potted though the summer, and then put them in the ground in the fall - as soon as I figure out where to put them.


Its tough to tell because I took the shot so late in the day, but they are there, in raised rows, spaced four feet apart in each direction. It still might be a bit too tight when they get big, I'll just have to prune that bridge when I get to it For varieties, in addition to three existing blueberry plants (a wild variety moved from another location on the property, as well as a New Jersey and another type I forgot), I added:


Blueberries

Raspberries

Blackberries

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home